We always wonder what are exactly school’s responsibilities, where do they begin, and where do they end?
It’s really important to consider where to draw the line between what constitutes parents’ responsibilities and school’s responsibilities.
Here is the way a Portuguese school decided to clarify the matter. They stick a poster in its halls- and the message they’re sending is now spreading like wildfire.
The message started to spread around the world and the school’s sign was later shared on Facebook.
Here are the five key points which the school is determined should be managed by the parents:
- We would like to remind you that magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, all begin to be learned at home
- It’s also at home that children learn to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to properly dispose of garbage.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to touch others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach language, math, history, geography, physics, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.
Should this be posting in US hallways, too? Share if you agree that parents need to take responsibility for their children’s behavior!