What would great historical figures look like today? How many times have we wondered while walking through the halls of a museum or leafing through a history book. Looking at the portraits of kings, queens, and other influential figures in history, it’s normal to imagine them in modern life , or simply with more realistic features that inevitably get lost in painted portraits.
Graphic artist Becca Saladin has created an Instagram account where she brings characters from the story to life , giving them a face that makes them look more real and modern. Here are some of his best works.
1. Anne of Cleves, fourth wife of Henry VIII.
Becca Saladin says she is a big fan of history and archeology, as well as a lover of graphic design. She inherited an interest in the past from her parents: one of the first books she remembers reading with her father is a revisited version for a child of the Tudor family.
2. Marie-Antoinette Queen of France, wife of Louis XVI.
When visiting museums, she therefore always stopped to think about what the greats of history would have looked like if they had lived today. These kinds of questions prompted her to experiment with Photoshop and create realistic faces of the characters from the story she loved.
3. Catherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry VIII.
Seeing the success of some of her works, she then decided to open an Instagram profile , Royalty Now , on which she publishes images of the faces of the historical figures she has created.
4. Henry VIII
The result is truly fascinating: although the portraits with which we know certain historical figures are already detailed and realistic, Becca makes them even more “real”, adding light effects and a three-dimensionality difficult to achieve without a digital program .
Additionally, Becca likes to add modern accessories to her figures to give them a modern look.
6. Nefertiti, Egyptian Queen of the 18th Dynasty.
Combining passion for culture and modern methods, Becca Saladin awakens enthusiasm for history!
7. Ludwig van Beethoven
8. George Washington, first President of the United States of America.
9. Catherine de’ Medici, wife of Henry II of France.
10. Elizabeth I, Queen of England.
11. Julius Caesar, one of the most important and influential figures in history.
12. Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America.
13. Hatshepsut, Queen of Egypt, fifth ruler of the 18th dynasty.