Many people like to wear flip-flops as they are easy, stylish and affordable. You wear flip-flops everywhere as they make you feel easy. But, are issues that occur with open-toed flip-flops rather than the well-supported feet. If you already have a health condition, flip-flops will make it worse.
5 Health Conditions That Flip Flops Make Worse
Here are 5 ways how cheap flip-flops can increase your condition.
According to the researchers, the footwear that doesn’t support your feet can cause back pain to you. The researchers observed the effects of the participants walking with running shoes or flip-flops. The participants who wear flip-flops took shorter steps and did not let their toes up when their legs were in swing phase as they were trying to grip their flip-flops. According to the lead researcher, the feet struggle in flip-flops can extend the pain upwards from your body and towards the thighs and back.
2. Plantar Fasciitis
This is a tissue that connects your toes and your heel bone and this also provide support to your feet. Once that tissue becomes inflamed, swollen, weak, and irritated the plantar fasciitis occurs. According to the studies, the flip-flops will increase your pain as they can flatten your arch and make it difficult to bend, force your big foot to bend backward and make your ankles bend inwards instead of standing straight and the soles of your feet bend outwards instead of side-to-side when you walk.
3. Achilles Tendon Problems
Achilles Tendon is the largest tendon in your body. This connects the heel of your calf muscle. If your feet are flat, issues in your Achilles tendon may arise as your arches are collapsed and almost or completely touch the ground. If your heels are unsupported as they put extra pressure on the tendon, flip flops will make your pain worse.
Bunions or bunionettes will occur due to the lack of arch support. By wearing flip flops more often, both can be occurred by shifting ligaments and small bones in your feet. Flip flops will make your toes curl while walking as they don’t have much mechanism. This also will lead to hammertoes which is a condition that your toes stay in a curled position. When wearing closed-toe shoes, this can cause hardened callouses on the tops of your toes that are aggravated.
Diabetes is a condition that causes nerve damage or poor blood flow in your feet. This also makes it difficult to realize that you’ve been hurt. Wearing flip-flops leave your feet exposed and by having a small cut can turn into infection or ulcer if you don’t treat it. The straps will also injure the skin between the toes.
Better Alternatives To Flip Flops
You should always wear shoes that have good heel and arch support and a cushioned sole regardless of the brand or type.
- Higher quality flip flops will not make your feet sweat and won’t retain as much sweat and bacteria as the cheap ones do.
- Orthopedic flip flops will help to prevent pronation, the will allow your ankle to bend inward and your foot to bend outward when you run, walk, or stand.
- Fit flop sandals have a wide strap that keeps your ankle secure and also have a thick, comfortable, and cushioning multi-density midsole that prevents pronation.
- Crocs are lightweight, have decent interior support, and the heel strap can keep your foot secure when you need it even though they are not the most fashionable shoes. According to podiatrists they’re not good or safe for all-day use. As Dr. Megan Leahy says, “these shoes do not adequately secure the heel. When the heel is unstable, toes tend to grip which can lead to tendinitis, worsening of toe deformities, nail problems, corns, and calluses. The same thing can happen with flip-flops or any backless shoes as the heel is not secured.”
- Sports sandals will look like running shoes and are better for the summer. Sports sandals have comfortable straps and soles that give you arch support.
- Try wearing heel cups or gel shoe inserts with your flip-flops instead of getting another type of shoe. These will enhance the thin, flat surface of your flip-flops.
Don’t buy extremely cheap flip-flops even they are affordable. They will cause harm that can make you pay later. Wear your flip flops in moderation if you have to wear it. Don’t wear them to walk long distances or when you’re driving. But you can wear them at the beach or the pool or around the house.