There are so much of left-handed people all around the world. But, the medical experts cannot still specify the reason why people become left-handed. But, a research has proven that there’s a complex link between our genes and environment.
The experts couldn’t discover any set of “lefty-genes.” But, they found that in a family of a left-handed person, the number of left –handed members is high.
They also have found that there’s a difference in the writings in the brain of left-handed and right-handed people. Lefties are more independent as they spend their entire life adapting to the right-handed world.
Here are 24 facts about left-handers that you were probably unaware of:
- There are 5-10% left-handed people of the world population.
- The word ‘left’ derives from the Anglo-Saxon era from the word ‘lyft’, and this means weak or broken.
- They use the right part of their brain.
- Left-handed people are talented in sports such as tennis, baseball, and boxing and swimming.
- Out of the most famous tennis players, 40% are left-handed.
- When comparing with right-handed individuals, left-handed are better in seeing clearly underwater.
- Left-handed people are 3% higher addicted to alcohol than right-handed people.
- It has been scientifically proven that left-handed college graduates become richer by 26% than the others.
- They reach puberty five months later than right-handers, so they called as late-bloomers.
- Certain animals can be also left-pawed.
- Four out of seven states are left-handed in the US
- Some of the longest words such as sweater, dresses and tesserae decades can be written with the left hand.
- In the past, left-handed has been linked with criminal, homosexuality, and neurosis. But lately, it has been also linked with musicality and creativity.
- When comparing with right-handers, left-handers are more prone to insomnia.
- There are more than 30 million left-handers in the US currently.
- According to the statistics, women who give birth in their 40s are 128% higher chance of giving birth to left-handed children.
- 13th of August is the International Left-Handers Day.
- Left-handers experience emotions differently than right-handers as they have the ability to process information more rapidly.
- They also have a great ability in mathematics, spatial awareness and architecture.
- When a left-handed individual injures their dominant hand, they learn to use the right hand very fast says the medical experts. But, this is much difficult for right-handers.
- When comparing with the right-handers, the left-handers are more prone to allergies and asthma.
- Left-handedness is a characteristic which runs in the family. For instance, Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother, and Prince Charles are left-handed.
- One out of the four Apollo astronauts was left-handed.
- One of the most notorious killers in human history was left-handers. For instance, Jack the Ripper, Osama bin Laden, and Boston Stranglers were all left-handed.